12 In Cloth Diapers 101/ Uncategorized

How to Make a OS Diaper into a Newborn Size

Most cloth diapering mamas know (or at some point realize) that one size diapers will not fit the tiniest of little humans. One size diapers will usually fit about 8lbs to 30lbs but there are plenty of room for leaks or explosions through the rather large leg holes. Here’s how to make a OS Diaper into a newborn size for your tiny baby!

alva os into newborn1 alva os into newborn2 alva os into newborn3 alva os into newborn4

The diaper that I used was one of my “China Cheapies.” It may take some trial and error on other diapers, but it will work on an Alva. Try this on your newborn baby and share a picture of your tiny Fluff Bum Baby!! 🙂

You Might Also Like

12 Comments

BB-Cloth Diaper Review | Fluff Bum Babies
    February 4, 2014 at 11:01 am

[…] I was very impressed with this diaper. It is similar to an Alva diaper, but with higher quality. Since it does compare to an Alva, you could also use it as a newborn diaper folded like this. […]

Kelley
      May 22, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Thank-you so very much!! I’ve been searching for days on which diaper covers and how to use and which I’ll probably rather use. Alva is the one that I just feel I really like. Then when a friend told me I need newborn size I thought oh no! I didn’t want to spend a lot for a newborn that I possibly may not even use or use for a very short time!! I literally ran into your post when I was searching for Alva Newborn Diapers and boy am I so super siked I did! Now I can order the Alva diaper covers that I fell in love with from the beginning!! Thank-you so much for this post!!!

Fluff Bum Babies
        May 22, 2016 at 10:30 pm

I would totally recommend having some disposables for trips out of the house. Because of how the diaper has the microfleece/microsuede folded outside, it can cause some wicking onto their clothes. Basically, pee can transfer to their clothes easier. But this is definitely a great option to get use out of your one size diapers and use less newborn diapers. 🙂

Ruqayyah
    May 2, 2014 at 11:34 am

Wow! So a Os really can fit a tiny baby! What about the leg holes? Does folding down the rise and snapping the diaper this way also make the leg holes smaller?

Fluff Bum Babies
      May 2, 2014 at 12:05 pm

A little bit. I’d say that it is going to work for some babies but not for others.

maria
    August 30, 2014 at 5:52 pm

so rad!! Is there any wicking with the suede part folded over and possibly touching baby’s clothes?

Fluff Bum Babies
      August 30, 2014 at 6:08 pm

I haven’t cloth diapered an itty bitty yet, so personally I’m not 100% sure. I want to just assume yes. I think this is a better option for summer time when baby can be in a diaper and tee or with a tee and some baby leg warmers. Or just an option for at home in general. It would most def be a good option if baby uses all newborn/smaller diapers before laundry day and needs a quick diaper!

Marissa
        October 11, 2014 at 3:57 pm

We have used this on our newborn daughter she is two weeks 8.5 pounds so far so good only works with alvas that we have. But we have a bunch so saving others for when she gets a little bigger. Great for keeping off of cord. Which we are still healing.

Ames
    October 25, 2014 at 4:54 am

Hi there! I am currently pregnant with our first child and due in December. My hubby and I found 24 one size for a great price with the inserts that they come with. If I am going to use this fold do I have to buy newborn inserts for this to work well? We don’t have much to spend on starting our stash but if newborn inserts are truly a necessity then we will get them. Thank you!!!!!!!

Haleigh
      January 11, 2016 at 4:26 pm

You don’t need newborn inserts, but you could use FST’s( flour sack towels found at Walmart. 5 for $4.88. Or if you have extra flannel baby swaddle blankets( we had like 20) that you never really use, you can cut those up and use them!

Jasmine
    June 25, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Thank you so much for this!

Jo
    November 11, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Amazing idea! Very helpful! Thank you so much!